Book an appointment 
Gift vouchers are available for that extra special present
Reflexology for menstrual problems
RANDOMIZED CONTROLLED STUDY OF PREMENSTRUAL SYMPTOMS TREATED WITH EAR, HAND, AND FOOT REFLEXOLOGY
By Terry Oleson PhD and William Flocco, American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Vol. 82, No. 6, December 1993

This study was designed to determine whether reflexology treatment can significantly reduce premenstrual symptoms compared to a placebo treatment. Thirty-five women who complained of previous distress with premenstrual syndrome (PMS) were randomly assigned to be treated by ear, hand and foot reflexology or to receive placebo reflexology. All subjects completed a daily diary, which monitored 38 premenstrual symptoms on a four-point scale. Somatic and psychological indicators of premenstrual distress were recorded each day for 2 months before treatment, for 2 months during reflexology treatment, and for 2 months afterward. The reflexology sessions for both groups were provided by trained reflexology therapist once a week for 8 weeks, and lasted 30 minutes each.

Results: Analysis of Variance for repeated measures demonstrated a significantly greater decrease in premenstrual symptoms for the women given true reflexology than for the women in the placebo group. The treatment group showed a 46% reduction in premenstrual symptoms, which was sustained at 41% during the post treatment period. It was concluded that ear, hand and foot reflexology is an appropriate therapy for the treatment of PMS.

FOOT REFLEXOLOGY IN THE TREATMENT FOR 50 CASES OF GYNECOLOGICAL DISEASES
By Hui Song, Senior Doctor, Nanjing Obstetrical and Gynaecological Hospital

Fifty patients, aged 20 to 51 years, diagnosed with gynaecological diseases including dysmenorrhea, hysteromyoma, pelvic inflammation, cyst and mass, endometriosis, menstrual disorder, infertility and chocolate cyst, were treated with foot reflexotherapy on each or every other day, 10 sessions: one course of treatment. Duration of therapy ranged from 10 sessions to two years. For forty-two (84%) patients, the symptoms completely disappeared - normal menstruation with no dysmenorrhea. For the remaining 8 patients (16%) symptoms had almost completely disappeared.

EXPERIENCE IN 10 CASES OF DYSMENSTRUATION TREATED WITH FOOT REFLEXOLOGY
By Wu Zhixing, Department of Foot Reflexology, Hangzhou Traditional Chinese Medicine Hospital

Ten patients (17 - 26 years old, mean age: 21 years) were observed to study the effect of foot reflexology on dysmenstruation (painful menstruation). Three of the patients had tried western or Chinese therapies without significant effect. Treatment sessions ranged from 5 to 10 minutes, and did not include whole foot massage but targeted specific reflex areas for pain relief. It was concluded that foot reflexology achieved analgesic effect very quickly.

FOOT REFLEXOLOGY IN THE TREATMENT OF HYPERMENORRHEA: REPORT OF 28 CASES
By Wu Zhixing, Hangzhou Traditional Medical Hospital, Zhejiang, China

This is a report on the effectiveness of treating 28 patients with hypermenorrhea (excessive uterine bleeding occurring at regular intervals) by using foot reflexology. For twenty-three (82.2%) of the patients the reflexology was significantly effective, the symptoms were relieved and there was no recurrence during the observation. For the remaining 5 (17.8%) patients the reflexology was effective, symptoms were relieved, but continued treatment was necessary for permanent effect.

TREATMENT OF HYSTEROMYOMA WITH FOOT REFLEXOLOGY: REPORT OF 7 CASES
By Wang Yuying and Liu Yong, Chuncheng People\'s Hospital, and, Qin Zidan, Jilin Traditional Medical College, Changchun, Jilin

Seven women diagnosed with hysteromyoma, a benign tumour developed from the proliferating uterine smooth muscle, confirmed by B-mode ultrasonography and endoscopy examination, were treated with foot reflexology. There were five cases of leiomyoma uteri, one case of subserous myoma, and one case of submucous myoma. All patients had a single tumour, the size ranged from 3cm. to 7 cm. The reflexology treatment lasted from 1 - 3 months, until the tumours and symptoms disappeared, and then self-massage was continued as an after treatment. It is concluded that foot reflexology is a cheap, safe, and surprisingly effective first choice in treatment of hysteromyoma.
2012 Hayley Brookes. All rights reserved.